Project Broccoli

fal2007_broccoli_vs_cauliflower

By Mike Small

So we’ve been exploring the Broccoli glut and the issue of food waste. The unusually chilly spring (remember that?) produced a glut of the brassica, which means Scottish growers are harvesting three times as much as normal, but in the heatwave, no one is buying it.

Most people haven’t got their heads round broccoli being something more than you have as a side veg with a winter meal, so broccoli is being ploughed back into the ground or going to waste.

Next week we’ll be issuing some fantastic broccoli recipes to help you and we’ll be popping up to sell it direct too.

We have a deal with a local farmer and we want to give away broccoli that would otherwise go to waste and sell on at cost to businesses anyone who will use it. This is fantastic, local, fresh-picked produce.

We are still working out the details but if you are a cafe, caterer or individual who would buy from us, get in touch. And if your a community project, church group, charity, food bank or soup kitchen get in touch and we can give you fresh food for free.

Here’s our prices:

£12.50 catering box (x45 heads)

£5 family box (x10 heads)

£2 bag of 3

We’ll be open for collection from 3 – 5 this Friday at Office 6, Old Station House, Forth Place, Burntisland Fife KY3 9DR

Contact Darragh on 01592 871 371 or email us: darragh@fifediet.co.uk

8 Comments
  • Admin
    The Fife Diet July 28, 2013 at 20:23

Thanks for all the responses – we’ll publish details of where you can get our special broccoli at the start of the week.

• Karen Withers July 26, 2013 at 11:35

We love broccoli, in salads, soups, pasta dishes, would love to have some , please.. Family and friends would like some too

• TRACEY LORIMER July 26, 2013 at 09:45

We eat broccoli all the time and would dearly love any available!
    Kindest regards,Tracey.

• Tracy Deakin July 25, 2013 at 23:08

This is a great, Project Broccoli. A friend just sent this to me in a private message & I thought it was a bit random when she said ” Do you like broccoli? This made me think of you”, then I clicked on picture & read this. I am a single girl with no catering business, but I’d buy a couple to few pound of broccoli if not to far to travel to collect & bulk cook it & freeze.

• Louise Scott July 25, 2013 at 21:38

Would love to buy some of this :)

• violet shears July 25, 2013 at 21:34

There must be many groups and individuals who could benefit from this. It would be good to make sure it all finds the way to new homes.

• fiona Ewan July 25, 2013 at 20:11

I would love some free broccoli i eat it most days,all year round.I cannot believe people only eat this mostly in winter,i love broccoli soup,broccoli and cauliflower bake,in stir fries.so if u hve any free goin i would appreciate some please. mrs fiona Ewan

• Gayle clark July 25, 2013 at 16:59

I am an individual, but happy to help. I have family and friends who would be interested as well.