Radio Radio

• 20/10/08
  • Comments: 6

The project was featured on this weeks Food Programme, you can go here to listen again if you missed it, click on the Listen to the Latest edition. It’s part of a two part series they are doing asking the question: Should Britain feed itself? Can Britain feed itself?

6 Comments
  • Zillah October 27, 2008 at 20:20

Following a comment on dairy products on the programme, I thought I’d leave a couple of recipes you can use to convert your Scottish (perhaps Fife, who knows?) milk into yoghurt and cream cheese.

Yoghurt

Equipment – heavy saucepan, milk saver (optional – it’s a little ceramic disc which sits in the bottom of the pan and prevents the milk from boiling over), thermometre (optional), wide mouthed flask, or bowl (a flask is good if you have no airing cupboard or convenient warm place).

Ingredients – 1 pint whole milk, 1 good teaspoon live yoghurt

Scald your equipment with boiling water. Bring one pint of milk slowly to the boil. Let it simmer for about 20 minutes, this will help to make your yoghurt thicken. Put in your thermometre and allow to cool until it reaches around 49C. Put a little of the milk into your flask or bowl, add the yoghurt and mix the two together. Pour in the rest of the milk and stir. Cover your flask or bowl. If using a bowl place in a warm place. Your yoghurt should take six hours, or over night. Then keep in the fridge.

Cream cheese.

To convert your yoghurt to cream cheese, take your yoghurt and place it in a sieve lined with a muslin. Allow to drain for a couple of hours (you can save the whey for baking or fermenting). I usually drain the whey off at this point. Then gently tie opposite ends of the muslin over a wooden spoon and remove the sieve, so you have a little bundle hanging into the bowl from the wooden spoon. Pop in the fridge and leave over night. The next morning you should have a pat of Scottish cream cheese!

• Graeme October 26, 2008 at 12:42

I enjoyed the radio prog and I am listening to the second part right now. I did have some quibbles about eating beef in the first prog as I don’t think it is sustainable due to the inefficies of producing beef but I was delighted to here that there is now a Fife brewer which I knew nothing about.

Well done with your inspirational efforts.

• Andy October 22, 2008 at 18:29

Hi there,

Listened to the programme with great interest. Learnt a couple of things too.

I never realised that poultry could be fed with non-organic feed and the proportions of stuff that was shipped in from overseas..

Was also a revelation to discover the different types of organic certification. I generally go for Soil Association eggs if I can but now I will make a greater effort.

One thing I think they should have gone into more was the non-organic beef and why he wasn’t considering converting. It was nice to think the “true” meaning of organic (i.e. rotation and some milk production) may be a way of milk farmers getting a better price for their milk. I don’t think shipping in grain from anywhere to feed them is sustainable.

Good work on the local food though.

Andy

• Tim from Food Safari October 20, 2008 at 20:54

Wow! This is a really inspirational story. What you are doing should not be interpreted as localism taken to an extreme as it’s clearly not a hairshirt which involves unpleasant sacrifices, rather an exciting way to re-engage with place and the seasons! The big food and farming policy question “Should Britain feed itself; can it feed itself” increasingly sounds like a debate that belongs in mainstream politics with the Fife Diet experiment providing valuable data that the answer could just be yes! I’ll be reflecting over the next few days as to whether I can inspire muy local community to embrace this idea in Suffolk where I’m involved in founding a local food tourism business and where we have a vibrant local food culture.

• Marcus (Germany) October 20, 2008 at 17:45

I listened to the programm by accident on my way home in western Germany as I was going through the AM-frequencies. The programme immediatly caught my attention and I listened to all of it … I thought it was just great!! As I am a local supporter of the SLOW FOOD-Movement I can totally support the idea. I live in a rural part of Germany, where one could also get a maximum of homegrown vegetables, fruit, pork, beef … from the local farmer around the corner, that´s just what Your programme has shown me again! Even some local breweries have established themselves in recent years, brewing organic but nevertheless very good traditional beer.
    Thanks for the feature and keep the idea alive!
    All the best!
    Marcus

• Joanna October 20, 2008 at 15:14

I was SO pleased to hear it – I don’t always catch the food programme – very interesting to hear people talking about the specific difficulties they have, and the things they’ve been forced to think about (coffee, anyone?). It made me think more than ever than your project is extremely worthwhile, up there with transition towns and other pioneering work.

Joanna