• 20/12/07
  • Comments: 6

“Those on the diet are not extremists but are experimenting for the future, Small says.”

More here.

6 Comments
  • Ina December 22, 2007 at 19:38

Hi Mike

The thing is to keep asking for what could be grown locally – otherwise you’ll keep hearing “no demand, so we won’t even try”. Hops, I believe, would truly struggle here; but maybe in the long run a variety could be bred that is compatible with our climate! The hops I had growing in the garden (purely for ornamental reasons) were certainly doing far too well…

Anyway – can I repeat my question as to the contact you had at the Macaulay? I’d really like to speak to them – maybe you could e-mail me their name, if you don’t want to put it on here?

• fifediet December 21, 2007 at 13:11

Jennifer, Chicago wrote: “No mention of where their chili came from in their soup!” Pittormie Farm is the answer. And they’re hot!

And John from Lancaster writes: “Food miles are trendy but largely irrelevant. The energy required to make fertilisers often makes locally produced food far less climate-friendly than food shipped from places where they use less fertiliser. Organic is the way forward.”

Nonsense. Local and organic aren’t incompatible. We eat organic whenever we can.

Mike

• fifediet December 21, 2007 at 12:57

I should also mention that you can listen to a piece on Radio 4s ‘Today’ programme here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/today/listenagain/thursday.shtml

We’re on at 740. Should be up for the next week.

• fifediet December 21, 2007 at 11:03

That’s true about hops Ina. We’re not really ‘strict’ in that its not about denying ourselves things but celebrating the great produce we DO have here.

Mike

• Ina December 20, 2007 at 14:07

I’d been wondering how strict you are with the condition of all being “local” – I see not all that strict… Because really, there is, for example, no truly local beer (hops aren’t grown here, and are often even imported into the UK); equally most spices are imported, etc. etc. I think your way of doing it is more realistic; I try to buy whatever I can locally produced, but often find it difficult!

Like you, I’ve been looking for local grains. Oats are no problem – the oats for the Mill of Alford are grown literally down the road (I’m in Kincardineshire), but I’m still looking for wheat, rye and barley. Andrew Whitley says in his excellent book “Bread matters” that some of the best bread wheat is grown in Scotland (Black Isle), so there must be some available around here! Could you possibly tell me who you spoke to at the Macaulay? I guess that person would be best placed to know a producer.

• Patrick Laughlin December 20, 2007 at 13:49

Well done Mike, of all the fantastic PR you have generated, this BBC story seems to be attracting the most attention yet: at local level, I can tell you the weblink is being circulated to thousands of local authority employees today!

Happy Christmas to you, family and all Fife Dieters!

Patrick Laughlin